Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Feeling efficient

Not a good start to today.  Diesel was amazingly perky yesterday - he went for a full walk in both the morning and afternoon, ate like a horse and was playing with us yesterday evening.  This morning he wasn't so keen on going out - not surprising as the weather was very dank - so I stayed with him by the drive whilst David walked Turbo.  I'm so glad I did, because after about 10 minutes, Diesel lay down and then had some kind of fit.  He was twitching and he'd got terrible nystagmus.  He was desperately trying to stand up, but I managed to keep him calm and lying down and gave him lots of hugs and strokes.  He let me cuddle his head after a few minutes.  Then, just as David came back down the road, the nystagmus passed off and Diesey perked up at David and Turbo.  He could stand, but was very wobbly so David carried him into the lounge and put him down on his blanket.  While we were busy taking off boots and coats etc. Diesey came hopping back through into the hallway and took up his usual position on the mats there.  He was very keen to take his ham/tablets but wasn't too keen on breakfast - again nothing unusual there - and appeared to have recovered very well apart from his head having a distinct tilt to the left.  We decided it wasn't necessary to take him to the vets and just to keep him quiet at home where he feels safe.  It's worrying me though.  

However, a quick Google search has found this: Did My Dog Have A Stroke? and it would appear that Diesey didn't and that he may just have Old Dog Vestibular Disease which, according to the article, is a recognised medical condition (abbreviated OVD).  So, I shall try to stop worrying too much.

Rode to work in some quite persistent rain, but it's still warm so no complaints there.

Good things about today:
  1. Diesel probably not too serious - just needs TLC.
  2. Tony and I managed to do the Stage 1 student lists so that's one big task out of the way.
  3. Crossed two things off my Things to Do list: book train tickets and order tyres.  I did the train tickets yesterday afternoon and managed to get first class quite cheaply which is good for evening travel to and from London as I'll get fed.
  4. Just remembered I've also done the Pharmaceutical Calculations workbook so that's another thing off the list.
  5. Very productive meeting with the team that are going to be designing and building the BNF app.  Getting slightly excited about that.
The efficiency mentioned in the title is the speed at which I have managed to turn around the new Course Regs about number of attempts at assessment.  Simon and I met with Laurence Fuller and Dorothea Ross-Simpson yesterday lunchtime to discuss what was needed. By the end of play on Tuesday (yesterday) I had the new regulation ready and Lindsay Bashford on board to give Chair's action from FLTC.  This morning, I got Chair's action from Steve for SLTC, sent the document to Lindsay and am pretty confident that, following MCC tomorrow, I should be able to send it to Dorothea.

Things that made me go AAAAAARGH today:
  1. Not a lot to be honest.  It's been a relatively quiet day and quite productive.  Getting things done slowly.  From next week it will be better as we will be into term time and the old routine returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment